The difference you make
No matter where you live in the world, life revolves around doing the best you can for yourself, and your family. But for the many millions of people living in poverty, every day is a challenge: to be healthy, to get an education, to put food on the table, to stay alive.
Oxfam is passionate about putting an end to poverty. About giving people the support they need to turn their lives around, stand on their own two feet, care for their children, and build a future free from poverty.
Leave a Gift to Oxfam in Your Will
How to Leave a Gift
Having a Will ensures that what you own goes directly to the people and causes you care most about. If, like many of our supporters, you chose to remember Oxfam Ireland in your Will, we are honoured and want to say a heartfelt thank you.
We suggest that you speak to your solicitor to make sure that your wishes can be carried out in the way you would like. We’re always here to answer any questions you may have about including a gift to Oxfam Ireland.
There are a number of ways to support our work through your Will:
- A Residuary Legacy: Leave a share or percentage of the remainder of your estate (known as the residue) to Oxfam after you have provided for your friends and family and other commitments. Just a small percentage, such as 5% or 10%, will make a huge difference. This type of gift is inflation proof and won’t lose its value over time.
- A Pecuniary Legacy: Leave a fixed sum of money to Oxfam.
- A specific gift/item: Leave a specific gift to Oxfam e.g. property, art, book collection.
Already have a Will?
If you already have a Will and would now like to include a gift to Oxfam, all you have to do is make a “codicil” (meaning “amendment” in latin).
When you next see your Solicitor just bring along a copy of our wording and they can update your existing Will for you.
Suggested Wording For Your Will:
For a Residuary Legacy (% of your estate):
“I give to Oxfam Ireland of Portview House, Thorncastle Street, Ringsend, Dublin 4, Registered No. 284892, CHY 5988 all/a share _____________ (please state fraction/percentage of the residue of my estate whatsoever and wheresoever and I direct that the receipt of the Treasurer or other officer for the time being of the said Organisation shall be a full and sufficient discharge of the same”.
For a Pecuniary Legacy (a fixed sum of money):
“I give the sum of £/€__________ to Oxfam Ireland of Portview House, Thorncastle Street, Ringsend, Dublin 4, Registered No. 284892, CHY 5988 and I direct that the receipt of the Treasurer or other officer for the time being of the said Organisation shall be a full and sufficient discharge of the same”.
For a Specific Gift/ Item:
“ I bequeath_________________________ (the item specified) to Oxfam Ireland of Portview House, Thorncastle Street, Ringsend, Dublin 4, Registered No. 284892, CHY 5988 and I direct that the receipt of the Treasurer or other officer for the time being of the said Organisation shall be a full and sufficient discharge of the same”. You may find our Will Planner Helpful. (Will planner for Northern Ireland here).
Our promise to you
Our Promise to You Leaving a gift in your Will to Oxfam is one of the best ways to support our work. In return, we promise you that:
- Your legacy will help change lives. Every euro/pound you give will be stretched as far as possible. We will invest your gift efficiently and cost-effectively so it has the most impact.
- Your Privacy is Paramount. We respect your privacy and look after your gift to us with sensitivity, care and confidentiality.
- We know that your decision is yours alone and that circumstances can change. You may, of course, change your mind about your gift to Oxfam at any time in the future.
- We are discreet. You don’t have to tell us if you intend to leave a gift to Oxfam, but if you do it will help us to plan future work and allow us to thank you.
- We are always here. If there is anything you want to know about your gift to us, or the communities you are helping to thrive, please get in touch.
With the help of supporters like you, we’ve been able to transform countless lives over the past six decades. In the last 20 years alone, over 660 million people have risen out of poverty; yet still one third of the world continues to live below the poverty line. But we know we can improve that statistic.
Let’s Make a World without Poverty Our Legacy
Oxfam Ireland is a member of My Legacy.ie – an organisation made up of over 150 charities in the Republic of Ireland that aims to raise awareness about leaving gifts in wills to charities.
Will to Give
Oxfam Ireland is a member of WILL TO GIVE - a group of over 40 most cherished Northern Ireland charities who have come together to promote charitable gifts in wills.